-->

Monday, April 28, 2008

You are what you pretend to be

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.

-Kurt Vonnegut

During yesterday's book club for Mother Night I realized how much I enjoy this line by Kurt Vonnegut. The book is a fictional account of an American playwright in Germany during World War II. He's a member of the Nazi party. But he's a spy. But his radio show successfully promotes the Nazis. That's only one of the myriad of masks in the novel.

Vonnegut died last year. I was shocked by this distasteful obituary on FOX News. I want to punch that voice in the face. It seems like something out of a Vonnegut novel: a news station has become so absurd that it is impossible to undermine with satire. It's terrifying for me to think that the empty-eyed anchors at FOX News aren't aware that their slogan, "fair and balanced", is a punchline.

No comments: