-->

Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Great Fruit Tasting

A while ago we bought twenty obscure beverages and held the Great Drink Tasting. Well, we bought about nineteen fruits to try (most of them from the wonderful markets of Chinatown) for our first Fruit Tasting party.



Highlights:

-freaking out as we cracked granadilla's disgusting skull but liking the taste of the oozing brains
-jack fruit's sudden seeds
-when the innocuous "poison potato" paralyzed tongues and lips
-beautiful dragon fruit's letdown
-after looking up the expected flavour of soursop we concluded it wasn't ripe.

Pictures of the fruits will follow but here's how they fared:


And, since we believe in transparency, the official judge's scores:

Personally, I think papaya is overrated and the tidy, tasty honey pomelo deserves a greater recommendation. Sugar apple and rambutan have flair but I think they lack the stamina to make the playoffs.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

After the Great Drink Tasting I expressed interest in doing one of these myself. Now, I pledge interest. I will have one of these done within the next month.

(Drinks? Fruits? Maybe something else. I'll brainstorm. Want to come? To Waterloo?)

Laurie Stark said...

What a fun idea! I bet a lot of these would taste better if you were eating them fresh from the tree.