-->

Friday, September 3, 2010

I Live in Thunder Bay

And now I live in Thunder Bay.

I've learned a month of information in the last five days, distorting my sense of time.

A friend of a friend picked me up at the airport. A quick driving tour of the city landed my a free bike.

Me: How much for this bike with the sale sign?
Stranger: $200.
Me: That's too much. I was looking for a beater to ride to school.
Stranger: Take that one.
Friend of friend: Put it in the truck. What a score!

The tires needed some air, that was all.

Discovery makes a life feel full.

I'm attending a one-year program at Lakehead to earn my teaching certification for Ontario. I've had a week of class from experienced instructors who can't help but treat us like children.

In Thunder Bay, the grocery store "Safeway" is said "Safeways". No reason.

I watched a friendly Pastor rock a three run home run in a close softball game.

I've met seven great children and their six wonderful parents. They've opened their homes to me while I wait to move in to my place in Current River. I settled on a distant location for the beautiful forty minute bike ride to campus. Today is the first day of cold and rain and I realized I am a fool.

I know that we pronounce a hard 't' in Junot Road.

I check Google Maps using my iTouch when I'm lost. It's a lot easier to find an open network here compared to Toronto.

I delight myself by impressing the locals with my rapidly accumluating Thunder Bay knowledge.

*Quality Market moved next to the University on Golf Links and their old building is going to be a No Frills.
*There's a looming transit strike. Mid-September.
*They use kijiji here over craigslist
*I think Rogers is abandoning Thunder Bay and handing their clients over to the dreaded TBayTel.
*The ravens are like Toronto's raccoons. Some people through a blanket over their garbage bags if they don't have cans.
*I was helping friend of friend's brother-in-law move to a new house. It was a rough scene. In the end, a car caught on fire and the fire department had to put it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peter, as a transplant, myself, it is interesting to me to read your comments regarding the good folks of Thunder Bay and their peculiarities (for that is certainly how you portray them whether or not this was your intention). I remember my first days here. I, too, was amazed by the size of the giant crows and the throwing of towels / carpets / blankets over garbage to protect it from the crows. I had the good fortune to share my garage with an injured crow for a year - most fascinating bird I will ever meet. I was deeply saddened when 'my' crow was eaten by a weasel.

Time has weakened my sharp eye. I no longer see Thunder Bayites with the same sharpness of 9 years ago.

You bring tremendous knowledge to our class. I am not a techno wizard like yourself and perhaps you find the websites provided in our syllabus to be ineffective. Incidentally, I like Wikipedia and thought your stabilizer an interesting project. I shared it with my son. He was less impressed than you and I. Guess every age has its cultural preferences!

Welcome and have a great year! Feel free to jump into our course and share your expertise at any time...